Thursday 25 March 2010

Losing My Religion













T
he first thing that happens when your redundancy runs out and you’re forced to exist on £64 is a big nothing. It’s the phoney war. Wait a month, or maybe two and the mysterious calls will begin. They will accompany the letters threatening Court Action and a visit by Debt Collection Agents.


Tip One: Keep the lines of communication open, write a letter to all your creditors explaining your circumstances. But don’t expect sympathy; don’t expect the calls or letters to abate. This is your insurance for the future.

Tip Two: Log all calls. Type the number in Google, most times the search will return a company name. If the calls are to your mobile, either block or reject calls from the number. Or if the calls are to your land-line, screen using an answering machine.

Tip Three: Don’t answer any of these mysterious calls. If they come in fast and furious and at unusual hours, write another letter like the one I include at the base of this post.

Tip Four: Speak to the Consumer Credit Counselling Service. Beware of other money making companies masquerading on the web as the CCCS. The CCCS will give you some good advice. They can help you prepare a budget; take the first steps towards bankruptcy (if that’s the way you need to go).

Tip Five: Speak to your friends/family. Once you’ve done this; the fear of being shamed, exposed as an impecunious fool, will subside. You will loose some friends, because not everyone will understand the complex set of circumstances that got you into debt.

I found discussing my problems a liberating experience; not everyone was sympathetic; not everyone will offer financial help, even if you ask directly for help. Get over it, human beings can be selfish, self serving and really strange when the word money is mentioned.

Tip Six: Remember you are dealing with businesses here, no matter how they dress themselves up. The Bank that listens for example, they will suddenly develop a dead ear once you stop paying them. They will make threats; try to scare you half to death. They will do anything to get their money back. So know your rights, scour the internet for information. Call the CCCS for advice.

To use a cliché, there’s no such thing as a free lunch. You may eventually become bankrupt, but there will be a cost. Oh it’s not the same as when Charles Dickens’s father was locked in the Clink Prison, but it will be humiliating. You will most probably lose your bank account and have problems getting certain jobs.

But ultimately the real cost will be to your health. I keep fit, take my heart medication, and eat healthy. But I know there is a drip-drip, a threatening letter here, an early morning phone call there. Torture techniques for the post Credit Crunch. They are shortening my life, narrowing the distance between now and the day I draw my final breath. Every day I loose a little something, call it hope, call it optimism, call it what you like.

That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight, I'm
Losing my religion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Harassment by telephone letter
Your Address
& postcode
Date
Company Name
Road
Town
City / County
Postcode

Re: Harassment by telephone


Credit Card/Account Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing in relation to the disturbing telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to The Financial Ombudsman, OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you may become liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance

I now request that you send me a copy of your official complaints procedures. Failure to do this will also result in your company being reported to the Office Of Fair Trading, Trading Standards and my local MP

Yours faithfully,

signature

[Name Here]

No comments:

Post a Comment