Wednesday 30 June 2010

Our Lips Are Sealed

What made me think of the Go-Go’s, somehow I got there via Jane Wiedlin and before her The Bangles cover of Hazy Shade of Winter. Which sort of started with Simon and Garfunkel, who recorded that song and Scarborough Fair.



This is one of those trawls through youtube. When fishing, you have the big nets that let the smaller fish go, and the little – that catch everything. I was using the little net, its holes are small, and so nothing gets through.
I started with Scarborough Fair, and because of that. Here’s Simon, Garfunkel and Andy Williams doing that song:







The Go-Go’s song is a love song about a break-up. Jane Wiedlin had a brief affair with Terry Hall of the Specials – so far back in the 80s it’s almost Neolithic. Terry sent Jane some lyrics, and she composed the song. And going by the lyrics there must have been a lot of talk about the
two and their liaison. Terry also recorded his version, which is worth a spin too !








Scarborough Fair bookends (sorry Simon & Garfunkel pun) the Go-Go’s song, because it’s also about a break-up. And it’s poignant, because it featured in a brief but significant meltdown of my current relationship.

During a dark night of the soul I sent my (then former) girl a link to Scarborough Fair. And I’m certain she was perplexed (it may have been a clip from the Graduate that accompanied the song); but she gave me the benefit of the doubt. And despite Simon or Garfunkel, she sent me an e-mail.

The rest as they say is history ……………………

No comments:

Post a Comment